//make posts preview with a thumbnail

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

How to add Footer Widgets to Any Wordpress Theme




I wanted to use widgets in the footer of my WordPress theme but my wordpress theme didn’t come with a footer-sidebar by default. I didn’t really wanted to change the theme just because of that. So I hacked the wordpress theme to introduce footer-sidebars. If you are looking for a tutorial that explains how you can add sidebars/widgets to the footer of your WordPress theme then keep reading.

wordpress_theme_icon_128

There are really three main parts to introducing a footer sidebar/widget area in your theme:

  1. Registering the Sidebar(s) in the WordPress Theme

  2. Inserting the Sidebars In the WordPress Theme

  3. Putting some style into the sidebars


WordPress has introduced a few new functions recently which makes it hard to write one tutorial that will cater for every theme out there. I have broken this tutorial into smaller sections to cater for the various different themes.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment